Saint Joseph, 1949 Mosaic Eglise Notre Dame de Toute Grâce, Passy (France) 115 x 130 cm
The church Notre-Dame de Toute-Grâce on the Assy plateau in Haute Savoie, was consecrated in 1950. It became a manifesto of the revival of Catholic art in the post-war period. The artists Léger, Lurçat, Richier, Braque, Rouault, Bazaine, Chagall, and Matisse all contributed, as did Strawinsky with two mosaics, one of Therese de Lisieux and the other of Saint Joseph. In these artworks, the artist returns to the hieratic formality of early Christian art.